Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Ekphrasis Challenge - Ben Grossman

Starry Night Over the Rhone.jpg

Gogh, Vincent Van. Starry Night Over the Rhone. 1888. Musee D'Orsay, Paris.


All is quiet, 
everything is still.
Night has descended upon the town.

The boats are docked,
the sailors have retired for the night.
The fruits of their labor to be sold tomorrow. 

A lone couple wanders the riverside aimlessly,
their path lit by the starry night and the lights of the houses.

The town sleeps now,
but come morning the town will be as lively as ever.
The streets will be filled with people,
the town filled with the hum of work.

But for now there is only silence.


5 comments:

  1. I like how used different images and words to convey the stillness of the scene and how you used contrasting words in the second to last paragraph to describe the town during the day. I really like the single line ending, it's very effective and memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Overall I thought this was a good poem. I am especially fond of how you captured how sleepy and tranquil the painting really is. I also very much like the contrast between the 3rd and 4th stanzas as well as how you ended the poem with just one line. It is simple yet graceful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This happens to be one of my favorite paintings so I feel the need to comment on it. I like how you brought up the whole town being quiet and still even with all the lights in the background because I think it definitely true. I also like how you pulled in the couple in the bottom of the painting.

    ReplyDelete