Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Art and the Artist- Max Kaufman

“The artist speaks to our capacity for delight and wonder, to the sense of mystery surrounding our lives, to our sense of pity and beauty, and pain.” –Joseph Conrad

I chose to read the poem "Piano" by D.H. Lawrence. In this poem Lawrence is speaking to everyone's inner child; not in a playful, but in a rather nostalgic way. One of the stanzas in his poem really grabs me. The second stanza really captures the beauty of youth and the pain I think we all feel from growing older and leaving youth behind. It is clear that Lawrence is speaking to our sense of pain in this poem. In art, the artist is, in effect, creating a collage of emotions. This is what makes art so special, for me art is a very emotional experience, both for the audience and the artist. As we see in "Sonny's Blues" the true art is formed from intense emotions. While I am not a drug addict, I can relate. When I am playing an instrument, regardless of what that instrument might be, it isn't until I throw myself into the song that the music really starts to take life.

2 comments:

  1. I think you did a good job conveying what the author was trying to say about youth,and applying it to a common emotion everyone feels. I also like how you tied in Sonny's Blues and were able to talk about both together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the notion you put forth that he was speaking to everyone's inner child and how those feelings can apply to everyone as they grow older. I also really liked the phrase "collage of emotions" because that shows how all of our emotions mix together to create out attitudes towards different things and who we are overall. I also liked that you used a personal exampled to connect to the feelings in Sonny's Blues.

    ReplyDelete