Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Art and the Artist - Gates Sweeney

“Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in.”  –Amy Lowell

       I'm a logical thinker, and I like to use basic reasoning to make decisions and theories about life and society. When it comes to art, I like to keep things simple. Lowell quotes me almost verbatim on my opinion of art. I believe that art is an expression of man and that is all. In D.H. Lawrence's "Piano," the feeling of nostalgia is captured when someone hears a sound they haven't heard in such a long time. It takes him back to his childhood when his mother used to play him the piano and sing songs. He describes how he sat under the piano pressing the feet of his mother. It reminds him of his current pain and how he wishes he could go back. This piece of art allows Lawrence to express his emotions, good and bad, with great detail to convey how he feels to the reader as accurately as possible. That is what I think art is.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your viewpoint, that art is expression of the artist stemming from the world s/he lives in. It has less meaning underneath it than other interpretations of art but it encompasses so much, like the authors' life and experiences which are easiest for us to express to others.

    ReplyDelete