Monday, August 31, 2015

Ekphrastic Challenge - Kate Sommer


The snow settled 
on the hills 
beside the stream.

As a child
I splashed in the water
and collected stones
from the bottom.

In the winter
we would jump across
and see who
would fall first.

The stream was 
where I relaxed
and dreamed.

Even on the coldest days
the sun is shining,
and the water sparkles.

Sometimes I'm alone.
Sometimes I bring my sister,
or my best friend.

I feel safe there,
even when the snow takes over,
even when the sunsets.

The stream is
where I escape
and think.


Painting by Marion Hoyt (my great-grandmother)








2 comments:

  1. This poem feels so real. I love how you first described the stream as it looked in the picture and then went on to describe different memories and experiences. I also really enjoy the short stanzas; they feel like snapshots, glimpses of one moment like the painting is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was such a great idea for you to write your poem based on your great-grandmother's painting! Your piece is very creative and flows nicely.

    ReplyDelete