Friday, October 23, 2015

Comedy | Gates Sweeney

Oscar Wilde's excellent usage of satire, farce, comedy of manners and puns all contributed to a hilarious critique of upper class society. Elements of satire were scattered all throughout the play, with absurd lines like "I never travel without my diary. One must always have something sensational to read in the train."  I also liked Gwendolen's comment near the end of "I never change, except in my affections." and Cecily's reply of "What a noble nature you have, Gwendolen!" I enjoyed this obvious, exaggerated sarcasm that came with it.

For me personally, humor is a part of not every day of my life, but rather every 10 minutes of my life. Throughout the day, I bet I get a laugh in every 10 minutes on average, thanks to all the types of humor I enjoy. Irony, wit, sarcasm, cynicism, satire, parody, dry, etc. I love 'em all. Much of this humor comes from social media sites like vine and twitter, but some also comes from YouTube. Some of the funniest things I've seen are just random accounts on YouTube, but one of my favorites is a satirical account called doctordub.

No comments:

Post a Comment