Thursday, October 22, 2015

Comedy Blog Post

To be quite honest, I very much enjoyed Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest. The writing and the subjects the play broaches are far ahead of it's time, given the Victorian Era in which it was written. Despite its age, the play was accessible and exceedingly humorous, and in my opinion so much so that I'm hard pressed to pick a single scene from the play as my favorite. Needless to say, I was quite impressed (and very amused) by the play. The scenes that immediately come to mind are the exchange between Jack and Algernon regarding the consumption of muffins in a calm manner and the multiple quips about the irritating nature of relatives. I'm especially fond of Algernon's observation on the subject: "....I love hearing my relations abused. It is the only thing that makes me put up with them at all. Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven't got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct on when to die.' Not only is it amusing (and more accurate than I'd like to admit), but it is incredibly accurate given the fact that the plot centers around Jack's invented brother Ernest, whom he intends to "kill off" but never seems to be able to rid himself of.

I love all types of humor, from the farcical and outlandish to the high brow and dry. Irony, wit, sarcasm, cynicism, satire, parody, you name it. I even have a running list of jokes that are so bad they're funny on my phone. My general philosophy on comedy is that if it makes me life, I like it. I really enjoy reading The Onion and watching Monty Python, as well as It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. They all satirize different aspects of society, dare I even say all aspects of society given how varied each form of media is.

No comments:

Post a Comment