Sunday, October 25, 2015

Comedy - Anthony Tamasi

In the Importance of Being Earnest, I enjoy the puns, especially in the name Ernest. Wilde uses some humor just for fun like the play on words in "As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is not my forte." However, with the name Ernest, it is a longer running pun, and wraps it all up at the end, completing the joke and the story. I also enjoy the higher comedy in the play, with the attack of the high class people of the time. Being of high status, they seem to think they are intelligent and overall better than others, however are generally just greedy and ignorant, and are the brunt of many jokes by Wilde. 

I never really think of myself having a particular fondness for certain types of humor; really, whatever is funny is funny. However, I guess I tend to gravitate to jokes that continue in a series, building on itself and within a longer period of time. For example, in the show Archer, this is done often with Archer mentioning the Danger Zone (song by Kenny Loggins) whenever he can in witty ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment