Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Sonnet - Derrick Thomas Jr.

If Dr. Seuss Wrote A Sonnet With William Shakespeare

He'd ride an iamb down the lane
while counting drops of sonnet rain;
Shall I... Shall I ... Shall I ... He'd say
Shall I ... Shall I ... Another way ?

Of darling buds more temperate
he'd say, with ten I'd pentamate,
he'd bill and coo and huff and cuss
while on a rhinopotamus.

He'd dum da dum, not da dum da
place volta's in a chocolate bar,
he'd stress the stress of unstressed words
place couplets on the wings of birds.

He'd sing Oh my ... Shall I ... Shall I
then close his eyes and slowly die
  

This sonnet explores the idea of Dr. Seuss writing a traditional sonnet. It follows classic shakespearean sonnet guidelines of iambic pentameter, three quatrains, and one couplet. However it carries an aa bb cc dd....gg. The volta is still found at the couplet where it leaves its whimsical tone to a darker one, to have a more shakespearean ending. 

No comments:

Post a Comment