Thursday, December 17, 2015

Importance of Being Earnest Performance Review- Max Kaufman

After having read The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde in October, it almost goes without saying that I was more than excited to attend the live performance at UK. As I walked up to my seat in the theatre no larger than a classroom, it was already clear that this performance would be intimate and audience oriented. The play begins with the help cleaning up from the party that occurred the night before, a nice touch from Directors Christina Ritter and Russell Henderson. This gave the audience a subtle yet helpful cue that the play was starting, rather than crudely presenting it otherwise.
As the performance progressed I was drawn in by the lofty acting Algernon (Peter Laprade) and the passionate Jack (Curtis Lipsey III). However this was totally outshined the moment Lady Bracknell (Jessica Agro) walked in—or should I say strutted in. Her performance was better than what I could have imagined. The costuming was done beautifully, with a dress that seemed as if it would be immovable due to the size, Lady Bracknell of course overcomes to the effect that you could practically taste the arrogance. One of the only downfalls of the play would be that this demanded more from characters like Cecily and Gwendolen, leaving them to fall flat in comparison.

If I had to rate this performance as a whole I would give it a 4 ½ out of 5 stars. The absent ½ would simply be due to the inability of the other female characters to match Jessica Argo’s stage presence as Lady Bracknell. All things considered, I would recommend this play to any of my friends as a must see performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment